Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Move from New Mexico to New Jersey

So just a short update on our crazy life. Four months ago our family made the decision to move from New Mexico, and take a new job for my husband in New Jersey! It has been a huge roller coaster ride with lots of ups and downs, but all together now that we have done it New Jersey is growing on me. Justin, my husband got an amazing job with a building company in Brick, NJ rebuilding and remodeling homes that were ruined from Hurricane Sandy. His comany (DSW Homes) is a home building company that specializes in the disaster relief from natural disasters all over the country. So our move from rural New Mexico to busy New Jersey has been quite the change to say the least. My husband LOVED his job in New Mexico as Construction Manager for a great builder called French Brothers. I however, struggled with living in such a rural area. I made alot of friends in New Mexico, but something felt like it was missing, I just wasn't fulfilled and happy in New Mexico. It always felt like I was trapped in a dusty little town with nothing going on...and after awhile that just got, well...boring! So that, among many other reasons made us decide to make a change.

Justin had started interviewing with several home building companies and none of them felt like a good move from his job in New Mexico. He even had 2 offers in Utah (where we really wanted to be!) and they just were not the right fit. Finally, we found DSW and the choice made sense although it was even farther from our family and friends in Utah and Oregon. We decided to take a chance and take the leap of faith to see how it would shake out...I mean life is an adventure isn't it? We figured that our kids are young enough that now is the time to take a job like this and go explore a different part of the country, that honestly I never could have imagined myself living in. I also couldn't imagine myself in New Mexico either. It's funny because I have been all over the U.S. and different parts of the world, and I had never been to New Jersey, or New York City. Brick, NJ is a little over an hour outside of New York City and is 10 minutes from Seaside Heights, NJ. We love living on the water and by the beach. There is nothing like it! It's like waking up on a vacation everyday. Living in New Mexico we had the beautiful mountains, with the most mind blowing sunsets I have ever seen in my life. Life was very quiet. We had the nice dry desert heat, and mild winters. The town had 2 grocery stores, and everybody knows everybody everywhere you go. Small town. Toms River/Brick NJ is just the opposite. To me, it is huge and endless. People everywhere! Tons of energy. Beautiful water all over whether it is a beach, a bay or a lake. Everybody seems to own a boat or jet skis. The trees are so beautiful. The energy is opposite of Alamogordo, NM. It is high paced and never stopping. For me the move was like going from being so bored out of my mind every day (besdes my 2 amazing kids that I take care of daily) to being so busy that I can never keep up with how much is going on. For me it is a welcome change since I love that type of environment. New Jersey is nice because you can still find peace in your home and other places that are more rural NJ and it is beautiful here. I am actually shocked at how friendly and nice people are here. I was warned about the "New Yorkers" being pushy and unfriendly. It has been quite the opposite for us. Maybe not southern hospitality like N.C. and S.C, but genuinely friendly people here on the Jersey Shore (da joysey show;-)). The winter here was BRUTAL. I struggled with it, not gonna lie. Apparently it was the worst winter in over 15 years here. I am hoping next year is a bit more mild. I actually really enjoy the seasons that New Jersey is going to offer us, but too long of frigid winter is just no fun...especially with kids. I guess looking back I realize that New Mexico did have some major things that I really will miss (which I didn't realize at the time), but we look forward to our new exciting adventure in New Jersey and the positive changes it brings to our family.


Beautiful White Sands, NM

Alamogordo, NM

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

We live in Toms River, NJ now.

So much to do in New Jersey!

Seaside Heights, NJ. We live 10 min away.

After Hurricane Sandy...the storm took the rollercoaster and alot more with it! That is why we are here;-)

Anyways all in all we were meant to be here, and we both can feel it. We know it. Life is a journey, and although we are not in our "home" state we have started to learn over the years that "home" is where our spouse and kids are. Someday, we will be ready to settle down in ONE place and never leave. For now, life is an adventure and for some reason it has lead us to New Jersey. We have had many trials of faith and some crazy events happen since we have moved....one being our oldest daughter (Scarlett) being diagnosed with something called PANDAS/PANS. Since it is such a huge subject I will be writing another blog about it. Check out my next posting on Scarlett's PANDAS diagnosis.;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment